Today we’re heading off to a wedding about two hours away from our house. As it’s being held at a hotel, we’ll be staying there the night. This will be Squirm’s first night away from home since we left the hospital. And it seems to have turned into a major operation!
My in-laws are coming with us to look after Squirm while we’re at the ceremony and reception, so we’ve needed to include every possible thing they might need to keep his calm, quiet and collected. Then there’s everything he’ll need to (hopefully) get some sleep during the night. Then there’s all our stuff as well!
I’m supposed to have a list of what we need to take with us. So far it looks like this:
- Squirm (really shouldn’t forget him)
- Expressed breast milk, bottles etc (in case Squirm gets hungry and I’m not around)
- Baby wearing wrap and sling (we’re hoping he’ll sleep while my mother-in-law wears him)
- Swaddling cloths (for Squirm’s fussy hour(s) )
- Baby clothes (lots – for vomit emergencies)
- Burp cloths (see previous item)
- Disposable nappies and wipes (we use cloth, but it’s just not doable when we’re away like this)
- Someway to dispose of the disposable items
- Bedding for the portable cot
- One or two toys
- Wedding clothes
- Spare wedding clothes
- Wedding jewellry
- Other clothes
Of course the first question is how can such a small child need so much stuff? Followed by ‘what did I forget?’ I suppose as long as I remember Squirm, everything else will be fine . . .we hope!